The brain may be God's or a god's creation, but it's also an organ in a biological organism, an electro-chemical machine of incredible complexity. We humans rely on that little bit of flesh we barely understand for survival.
A wise educator I knew once said: "You can only teach what you know and what someone else wants to learn." I would add to that, "and what we're physically capable of learning."
When machines are over-worked and under-cared for, they start to break down. The brain is no different. In the weeks and days leading up to a test date, I see students in all states of disrepair. Studying and stressing are normal, and expected, but students also need to take time for self-care. No matter how much you've studied, if you can't get up (or can't think straight) on test day, it doesn't matter.
So consider your fuse box. Realize that it needs rest, not just sleep but also downtime. And that doesn't mean just watching YouTube videos, which actually isn't very relaxing. Read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, meditate. Listen to podcasts or soothing music with your eyes closed. Be out in nature. And for God's or a god's sake, eat right and get some exercise. Your future self, enrolled in its dream school, will thank you.
A wise educator I knew once said: "You can only teach what you know and what someone else wants to learn." I would add to that, "and what we're physically capable of learning."
When machines are over-worked and under-cared for, they start to break down. The brain is no different. In the weeks and days leading up to a test date, I see students in all states of disrepair. Studying and stressing are normal, and expected, but students also need to take time for self-care. No matter how much you've studied, if you can't get up (or can't think straight) on test day, it doesn't matter.
So consider your fuse box. Realize that it needs rest, not just sleep but also downtime. And that doesn't mean just watching YouTube videos, which actually isn't very relaxing. Read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, meditate. Listen to podcasts or soothing music with your eyes closed. Be out in nature. And for God's or a god's sake, eat right and get some exercise. Your future self, enrolled in its dream school, will thank you.
If you enjoyed this post, please visit my website at www.georgiagelmis.com to find out how I can help your student. Email contact@georgiagelmis.com, phone 917-574-8662.
Comments
Post a Comment